Every now and again I will be given the task of making dinner for my family. More often than not, I am given plenty of advance notice so I can plan around it though sometimes, my mom just decides to spring it on me. Like yesterday afternoon, when I was in the middle of playing Kingdom Hearts on my PS2. One minute I’m kicking butt along side Donald and Goofy, the next I’m having an apron thrown at my head and a cookbook shoved into my hands.
So what was on the menu for last night’s dinner? Mediterranean Chicken, taken from The America’s Test Kitchen: Light and Healthy though adapted slightly. Now, despite my complaints above, I love hopping into the kitchen to cook-up something yummy, especially when the recipe is fairly straight forward and healthy for you. This is why I love the ATK. Their cookbooks are always so informative and user friendly. If you haven’t checked them out, give their website a look-over or borrow one of their cookbooks from the library. They are a bit bulky but those pages are filled with nothing but pure knowledge and delicious recipes. Enjoy!
Mediterranean Chicken with Tomatoes, Olives, and Artichokes
Serves about four (though we had enough for about six servings)
4 (12 ounce) bone-in, skin-on, split chicken breasts, trimmed
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (9 ounce) box frozen artichokes, thawed and drained
1 onion*, minced (about one-cup)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoons mimicked fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup dry white wine*
1/4 cup orange juice
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped coarse
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
*We substituted the onion with a leek
*Can be substituted with water
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heath the oven to 450 degrees
- pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and season with 1/8 teaspoon slat and pepper. Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Carefully lay the chicken, skin side down, in the skillet and cook until well browned on the first side, about five minutes. Transfer to a plate
- Heat one teaspoon more oil in the skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the artichokes and cook until well browned on all sides, five to seven minutes, turning them as needed. Transfer to a bowl
- Add the remaining one teaspoon oil to the skillet and return to medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about six minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about thirty-seconds. Add the wine and orange juice, scrapping up any browned bits. Brin to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about two minutes. Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer, and cook until the sauce is thickened slightly, about two minutes. Stir in the browned artichokes and olives
- Place chicken skin side up in platter and cover with the sauce. Place in oven, covered or uncovered in the oven for about thirty to thirty-five minutes.
- Remove from oven when chicken is cooked through and sprinkle with parsley. Serve!